Maths – White Rose
The Teaching of Maths at Acre Heads
At Acre Heads, we strive to teach children to become competent mathematicians. As part of our maths curriculum we follow the White Rose Maths schemes of learning, based on ‘small steps’ progression and yearly frameworks, which provide the foundation for secure learning, confidence and competence in mathematics.
Inspired by the work of global maths experts, White Rose Math is a transformational approach to maths teaching.
The White Rose Maths positive approach focuses on reinforcing number competency, whilst providing opportunities to build reasoning and problem solving into each lesson and encourages each student to build confidence and resilience to achieve in maths.
Its inclusive approach is based on the use of concrete objects (counters, snap cubes, coloured rods), pictorial representations and abstract methods to help pupils develop a secure, long-lasting and adaptable understanding of mathematics.
What does a typical Primary White Rose Maths lesson look like?
- The lesson will include a mix of teacher-led and student-led learning
- More exploration of maths using concrete, pictorial and abstract representations, and not just pages in books
- Fun and engaging activities and contexts
- More opportunities to further extend and challenge learners to deepen understanding
- Key questioning throughout
Our aim is for young mathematicians to become:
- Confident and able to recall and apply mathematical knowledge in different contexts
- Able to explain their methods and thinking processes and apply skills in context
- Fluent in different areas of maths
- Efficient in applying problem-solving and reasoning skills
- Independent thinkers
- Aware of the Maths/ concepts/ process they are doing
White Rose Resources:
National Curriculum Progression Y1 – Y6
Year 1 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
Year 2 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
Year 3 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
Year 4 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
Year 5 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
Year 6 – Lesson by Lesson Overview
For more information, tips and helpful hints visit: