The whole SEND provision at Acre Heads follows the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0-25 Years.

The best source of information can be found here by downloading the SEN Information booklet:

⇒  SEND information report 2018 

Additional Information

School Concern

When we have a concern about a child in a particular area, we will contact the child’s parents to arrange a meeting with them, the class teacher and the Inclusion Manager. If everyone agrees we will put together a plan and the child will be placed on school concern. The child is not officially on the SEN register, we are purely monitoring their progress. Children can become a school concern at any point during their time at Acre Heads, but usually by the end of FS or Year 1. If after good quality first teaching, along with regular highly differentiated individual 1:1 intervention the child hasn’t  made expected progress, then outside professional help may be sought  from a variety of other agencies.

Rainbow room

Along with various others rooms across the school, the Rainbow Room is where most intervention takes place.


The paperwork used to support children in school with their individual targets has been designed to be as child friendly as possible. Although a child’s targets are amended as needed, the official paperwork is changed termly.

External support

If an outside professional becomes involved then a child will be formally recorded on the school’s SEN register as ‘SEN Support’. Parents will be kept fully informed throughout.

The following are some of the professionals who may become involved or who work with our school at the moment:

Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)

We have a close relationship with the various speech therapists linked to our school. A child can be under speech therapy for many different reasons including but not limited to:

*Specific speech related difficulties e.g. the inability to say particular age related sounds correctly.

*Specific Language related difficulties e.g. the inability to comprehend instructions, incorrect use of tenses/pronouns and having a limited vocabulary

*Autism/Social Communication Difficulties.

Northcott Outreach Service

This is a service that supports Hull LA children in East Riding Schools who have a diagnosis of Autism or are on the waiting list for a diagnosis.  They currently offer termly support to several of our children in school.

Sensory and Physical Teaching Service (SAPTS)

This is an East Riding Council Service that supports children experiencing difficulties with fine and gross motor control and visual impairment. Fine motor control relates to small movements such as pencil grasp and scissor use. Gross motor relates to bigger movements such as kicking a ball, running, throwing and catching. A child who is receiving support from ISSS may also be receiving support from Physiotherapists and/or Occupational Health.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHs) 

CAMHs provide a specialist assessment and treatment service to children who are experiencing significant emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties. They help to deal with various conditions including depression, eating disorders, ADHD, severe behaviour and psychosis.

Educational Psychologists

Our current Educational Psychologist is Rachel Lusby. If we have explored all possible options in school and a child is still experiencing difficulties with learning, emotion or behaviour then we may involve the school Educational Psychologist. Educational Psychologists understand how children learn and why some children can experience difficulties. Through the EP service we are also supported by Behaviour Support Teachers and Inclusion Support Practitioners.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If a child is identified as possibly having a significant level of complex needs, and after thorough discussion with all people involved in the child’s care, a request may be made for an EHCP assessment.

Dyslexia Sparks

Towards the end of Year 1 we have identified most children who we suspect are potentially going to be Dyslexic. It is at this point that we will usually speak to parents to express our concerns and in collaboration with parents we will place the child at ‘school concern’ if they are not already being monitored. During Year 2 we follow a weekly intervention programme for 1 hour a week which covers all the possible gaps that a child may have. By the time a child reaches Year 3, if the gaps are still present then we look at involving external support from Dyslexia Sparks. Whatever the findings are, we produce a tailored individual support plan in place that a child can work on until they leave Acre Heads at the end of year 6. It is a very complicated process to diagnose Dyslexia however the main causes of Dyslexia can include weaknesses in visual memory, auditory memory, working memory, phonology and pseudo word reading or speed of information processing. A child is born with Dyslexia and it has nothing to do with bad parenting/teaching. It is also believed to be hereditary in some cases.


Similar to Dyslexia above in that children display the same weaknesses with memory however it shows with difficulties in maths compared to the literacy. We use Dyslexia Sparks to help us in diagnosing Dyscalculia.

The SEND Local Offer Letter

The local offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.

Download further information here :-

What is a local offer?

In Hull and the East Riding there’s lots of support available to children with disabilities and special educational needs, and their families. You’ll find information about that Local Offer of support here.

Whether it relates to education, health, social care or parental support, and regardless of who’s providing it, we’ll aim to point you in the right direction.

Further information


External Help and Advice Available

Families’ Information Service Hub (FISH)

Some of our parents in school access support from FISH. FISH operate a helpline offering free, impartial information for young people, parents and carers and professionals who have a role in supporting families. FISH is a ‘one-stop-shop’ where you can get details of services in Hull and the East Riding for children and young people aged 0-20 years. More information can be found on the East Riding website or by emailing

Link to FISH – the family information service:


East Riding Voices in Partnership (ERVIP)

This is a representative group for parent/carers in the East Riding who advise the local authority on issues concerning Children and their parent/carer priorities. They strive to improve understanding of disability among decision makers, to influence policies and practices and the services that affect families’ lives. If you would like more information on this service then please contact 07813676941

Link to ERVIP: