Smiler Bear is has taken Miss Imrie to a place of legendary importance.
Here are the clues:
- He is in a Castle.
- It is now a ruin in the Mallerstang valley to the south of Kirkby Stephen.
- It occupies a site close to a young River Eden with the peaks of Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang Edge towering over it.
- The Castle is steeped in history.
- According to legend the original castle was built by Uther, father of King Arthur, in the 5th century and may have been the site of his death when a well was poisoned by the Saxons.
- The Castle has had several notable owners including Sir Hugh de Morville – one of the knights who murdered Sir Thomas Beckett in 1170.
- Lady Anne Clifford was a very well-known landowner who rebuilt the Castle after it had been destroyed by a Scott’s raiding party. She added a Brewhouse, bakery, stables and coach house and was a frequent visitor until her death in 1676.
- The Castle is on private land but you can walk around the Castle walls but care must be taken as some of the walls are unstable.